Overcome, with gratitude and forgiveness

Overcome: Burned, Blinded, and Blessed - Carmen Blandin Tarleton

I grew up in the Vermont hills where Carmen Blandin Tarleton suffered at the hands of her husband and recovered in the hands of a tight-knit rural community. I don’t know her personally, but I remember her story in the local papers several years ago. It featured an attack by a mentally unhinged spouse, a bottle of corrosive lye, and a woman’s body burned beyond recognition by caustic chemicals. It was hard to look at but hard to turn away as well.

Today, Tarleton has proved that people really can overcome anything. With the publication of this book, she tells the world not just the horrors she survived, but the blessings she received. Written in a straightforward, first-person style, Tarleton’s story is more about resilience and bravery than it is about trauma and pain. Most of all, it’s about forgiveness, and Tarleton’s astonishing journey to forgiving her attacker. That’s the story she wants to tell with her book, and it comes through loud and clear in this inspirational memoir of healing and hope.